Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Jobs. Part 3.

Yesterday I had an interview for the position of Food and Beverage Assistant at a Holiday Inn. The position is contractually only 12 hours a week, but the guy who interviewed me assured me that if I wanted to work extra hours, all the way up to full time hours, there's almost always hours available to do.

Today I got an email informing me that I've got the job - hooray!

But ... today I went to a trial shift for the role of receptionist at a hotel in Winchester. It's hard to tell how it went, since I didn't get a chance to do anything that 'proved' myself, but the people I spoke to seemed to like me, which I'm taking as a good sign.

So now I'm not really sure what to do.
I was told I'd hear about the receptionist job in the next couple of days, and that's the job I'd definitely prefer ... but how long can I hold off on giving an answer to the Holiday Inn job offer? It's a good job, and if I don't end up getting the receptionist job, I'd definitely be happy with that job (although let's be honest, right now I'd be happy with almost any job!). I just think the receptionist job is more 'me', and fits in with what I can see myself doing in the future (when I eventually figure it out ...).

I'm going away for 2 days from tomorrow, and I don't want to leave the email unanswered until Friday evening, but I'm not sure how to reply to it at the moment. I don't want to say something that implies that the job is a back up ... but it is.

TL;DR? I've been offered a job. There's a chance I'll be offered a job I want more (but also a chance I won't be). How do I reply to the job offer without taking that option off the table, but without formally accepting it for the moment?



  1. Honestly, I would accept the job you were offered and then quit if you get the one you like better. Or you could call the one that you liked and ask them if they know when you should expect a decision, it's polite and they may be able to tell you right then.

  2. I guess it depends on how badly you need to get a job now. I don't know your financial situation, but if you are in dire need of finding employment, I'd take the first job. If you can hold out a bit longer, it might be worth holding off and seeing if the receptionist thing (or another job you like better) pans out.

  3. How about tell the person you are out of town until ___________ and ask if you can discuss the job then?That way you don't say yes or no, but you acknowledge receipt of the email?

  4. Holiday Inn is nice, if it's the one in Southampton. I've stayed there and the staff was exceptional.

    Most people have 5 or 8 jobs before finding the one they like. I like what Kathy S says. Krystle is also logical.

    Realizing now that I'm saying nothing important. Okthnxbai.

  5. First of all congratulations on getting the job offer. I agree with Kathy S, but good luck with it all. Let us know what happens and have a good couple of days away :-)


Comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)