Sunday 19 June 2011

Twitter.

My posting on Twitter fluctuates greatly. I almost always post more on there when I'm doing less (same goes for blogging), which seems somewhat contradictory, but there it is. When I'm doing things, I don't have time to post. I'll do the obligatory update, but the more mundane updates vanish. And, to be honest, the mundane updates are more fun for me. Saying where I am and/or what I'm doing seems a lot more basic than something mundane I can inject my personality into.

But isn't my point. My point is that I am followed by many different people in my life on Twitter. I'm followed by close friends, once close friends that are now more just acquaintances, people who barely know me, people who don't know me, and family members. This makes it quite tricky for me to post.
I want to be able to post freely, swearing if I feel like it, being nerdy and in-jokey and fandom-y when I feel like. But because of the family members, I can't. My grandfather (who turns 89 this year) follows me on Twitter, and reads every Tweet I post with great avidity (is that a word? Spellcheck seems to think it is) - or so my mother tells me. So then I feel slightly guilty for posting about something that he wouldn't understand. But if I just post about what I'm doing, then I'm sure that the close friends and once close friends that are now more just acquaintances don't find it interesting. I don't know. I find it very hard to post as I want to, for fear of alienating a group of my readers. Some of which, no doubt, are reading this post right now and are trying to figure out which category they fall into. Ah-ha.

So if you're reading my Twitter feed and thinking it seems a bit ... all over the place, there we are. Your explanation.

1 comment:

  1. haha I absolutely love that your 89 year old grandmother has a twitter!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)